Wednesday 14 March 2012

Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

This recipe is from my favourite go to cook book, Better Homes and Gardens.  Hands down the best book for all the basics.

The cake itself takes no time and looks rather impressive for such a minimal amount of work.  Enjoy this quick, easy, and delicious recipe.



Pineapple Upside-Down Cake

2 tbs butter
1/3 packed brown sugar

1 8-oz can pineapple slices
8 maraschino cherries, halved

1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2/3 cup milk or 1 cup 1% buttermilk (I ALWAYS use buttermilk)
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Prepare a 9" round pan, I always spray first with Pam or rub with butter and line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.

In a small bowl, melt the 2 tbs of butter in the microwave.  Stir in brown sugar and pour into the bottom of your prepared pan.  Then arrange your pineapple and cherries on top of the butter/sugar mixture.  Below is an example, but do whatever you want.


In a my Kitchen Aid Mixer, I cream the butter and granulated butter.  I add in my egg, vanilla, and milk until fully combined.

I stop my mixer and put the flour and baking powder in.  Turn the mixer back on low speed for 30 seconds, then medium speed for 30 more seconds.

Spoon batter fruit in the prepared pan.  The batter is pretty thick so spoon as evenly as possible over the fruit.  I then try to spread it lightly with the top of a spatula.

Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted into the centre comes out clean.

Cool on a wire rack for 5 mins.  Loosen cake from the pan; invert onto plate.  Best served warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment