Wednesday 22 June 2011

Two more fruit crisp recipes and more!

This past week I found myself with a whole lot of fruit to use up.  I had a huge thing of fresh blue berries and a big stack of rhubarb.

Because everyone in my house loves apple crisp, which is an amazing this as my Donovan is a picky eater, I stick to what I know will go over well with the family.  With this in mind, I started to play around with some ingredients and came up with a Blueberry Crisp.  I then had this bunch of rhubarb to use, so I got some tart shells and made rhubarb strawberry tarts.  I only used about half of the filling I had prepared so I halved the topping recipe for my apple crisp recipe and made another crisp.

With all that being said I am going to give you two filling recipes that can be used in a fruit crisp or for pie / tarts.

Crisp Topping:

1 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 packed brown sugar

Place all ingredients into a medium sized bowl and combine with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles course crumbs.

Filling Variations:

Blueberry:

5 cups fresh blueberries
4 tbs granulated sugar
3 tbs all purpose flour

Toss all ingredients together in a 9 x 9 baking dish, place the topping on top and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.

Strawberry / Rhubarb:

3 cups chopped strawberries
3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon (optional)

Toss all ingredients together in a 9 x 9 baking dish, place the topping on top and bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown.



Other options:

Both of the fruit variations listed above can also be used for a pie or for tarts.  Place your filling of choice in a pre made pie shell or tart shells (I always use the TenderFlake ones).  When making tarts, please keep in mind that the fruit fillings will shrink somewhat, so fill them up high and bake on a lined cookies sheet a dozen at a time.  You should be able to one pie or two dozen tarts from either recipe.  Bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.  Keep an eye on them, you may need to cover with foil to prevent over browning.  Another option is to top your pie or tarts with the crisp topping, I would half the recipe.....yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment