Thursday 28 April 2011

Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake

We made this delicious pound cake yesterday, it is so good!


1/2 cup butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup lemon yogurt (I use the 8% mf lemon yogurt from Liberte)
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel
2 tbs lemon juice
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp baking soda
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 tbs poppy seeds (optional)

Allow butter, eggs, and yogurt to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes .  Meanwhile grease and lightly flour a loaf pan, set aside.  In a medium bowl stir together flour baking powder, baking soda, and poppy seeds; set aside.

In a mixing bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on med to high speed for 30 seconds.  Gradually add sugar, beating about 10 minutes or until very light and fluffy.  Beat in vanilla, lemon juice, and peel.  Add eggs 1 at a time, beating 1 minute after each addition and scraping bowl frequently.  Alternately add flour mixture and yogurt to butter mixture, beating on low to med speed after each addition just until combined.  Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 325 for 60 to 75 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near centre comes out clean.  Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.  Remove from pan; cool.

(For a great and light dessert, I serve with some fresh fruit salad, and whip cream infused with finely shredded lemon peel, sugar, and vanilla.  Garnish with a mint leaf.)



While I am waiting for the cake to be done, I take half the lemon that I juiced and took the peel from, stick in in a mug with a tablespoon of organic honey, and poor hot water over top.  A yummy warm drink.


If you are like me and will only eat baking the day it is make, this is what I do.  I slice the cake and remove the slices that my family will eat that day and/or take in their lunches the next day.  Then I take a small pieces of parchment paper and start layering cake slices and paper.  I then put it in a zip lock bag, squeeze out the air, and toss into the freezer.  When I want a piece, I just take however many slices I need out, thaw, and chow!  Still tastes fresh!


*Original Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book

No comments:

Post a Comment